Friday, July 25, 2008

Hair today gone tomorrow.






About a month ago I did another hair show. This one was less scary looking than the previous ones, but more scary feeling. I had my hair done on stage. Yikes! Something I had prided myself on never having done. The deal was no cutting! I made sure to clarify that my precious hair, that I have been attempting to grow out for about 2 years, would stay as it is. Promises were made extensions were glued in, and corsets were tightened. Seriously so tight I had to take shallow breaths to stay alive. On a brightly lit stage I sat listening to a monologue about my hair. Halfway into the dialogue I hear the slinging sound of scissors. It was time for the cutting. I thought about the promise that was made to leave the hair attached by the root to my head alone. And then it started happening. Thinning shears, I could see them out of the corner of my eye and then my lovely not as bleached blonde hair started falling. Not a lot but enough. My stomach tightened and that sick feeling moved in and I started sweating. Why? Why was he cutting my hair? We had an agreement, he promised. I kept telling myself it's not the end of the world, but it is my hair that I want to be long that I want to grow and it cannot grow if you cut it! The cutting stopped. A cloud of hairspray appeared around me. Holding back the urge to cough I stood up, still a little shaky from the trauma and even more shaky on my 8 inch platform heels. As gracefully as I could I walked to the front of the stage, stood in the lights, and posed. No one would no how my insides were turning cartwheels at the thought of what I was going to find when the extensions were removed.
The next day when the last glued in pieces finally came loose from my scalp I saw for the first time the real damage. Thinned out wispy hair that I am sure in the hair world is considered a wicked cut. But not for me. Not for me who stopped bleaching my hair to thicken it up and allow it to lengthen. There I was again sadly starring at my lifeless short hair in the mirror repeating my all too familiar mantra "It's just hair. It will grow back. At least you are not bald" I went to the kitchen and swallowed my prenatal vitamins which I have been "promised" will help my hair grow.

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com