Did you know that flying to South Africa requires 2 blank VISA pages in your passport? No? Neither did I. I found out when I arrived at check in in Heathrow Terminal 1 August 10th, 2008 7:00pm. I was told I could not fly because the 2 blank pages in my passport where not accepted in South Africa. That was it. Final. No options. AAAHHHHHH!!!! When the manicured woman informed of my fate I had an internal I freak out. This could not be happening. £45 later I arrived back home and prepared for the journey to the US Embassy to have more pages added to my leather bound US passport. Luckily, that was not as bad as it sounds. A trip into London around 8:00am and a 20 min wait for processing I had my new pages. They didn't match the old ones, but I let that slide considering the new freedom of flying they offered me. Feeling uneasy being back at the airport and facing an 11 hour flight I lined up to have my baggage weighed. Now I have learned from my may years of flying and my consistent habit of packing more than I need, that weight limits are strictly enforced and I have taught myself how to obey them. Walking confidently up to the weighing man I placed my bags on the scale. "12 kilo's over that will be £340." he said to me as I starred blanky back at him. I could feel the rage monster awaken. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! ANother internal freak out! I won't bore you with the details that followed but the end recults was a trip downstairs to the "I could care less about my job and am enjoying these chips way too much to apy attention to the blonde girl that looks flustered and in a rush" stored luggage guys. Swapping items and repacking bags, leaveing my precious straightener and tioletries behind, I left a bag with the the "guys" and rushed back to check-in only to be informed I was stuck in a middle seat on a full flight. Oh my Gosh!!! In that moment I decided to learn the lesson that I think God was teaching me and tried to feel the peace that He promises. Walking to the gate I repeated peace, peace, peace and reminded myself that people are dealing with much much more right now...bombings in Russia, starving in africa, earth quakes everywhere. A middle seat is not the end of the world. I guess God or my luck decided to smile in my general direction and blessed me with an isle seat given to me at the gate. 11 hours and 1 and a half movies later I arrived in Cape Town to sun. Praise God. I aim to be more grateful and easy going for the rest of this journey. In South Africa and in life.
.
Leaving for the Embassy.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Cape Town Day 1.....should be day 2
Posted by Mizzie at 5:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment