Friday, September 02, 2005

Lost in New Orleans

Lost seems to be the new show to watch in England. They are a season behind America which I find extremely annoying so the other night after watching two episodes in a row I really needed to know what was going to happen. So I got online (the internet is my favorite), went to the website, and proceeded to read the written versions of every episode. It took awhile but now I am all caught up to America and ready for the season premier at the end of Sept. The best part of this is that Tom is totally into the show and he doesn't want to know what is happening. Finally I have something to taunt him with. Every time he says something out of order to me I tell him something important that happens to the castaways. I love it! He hates it! Yes!
Let me know if you are into the show so we can talk about it.

Last night on the news they showed footage of some folks basically lost in New Orleans, living on their roofs with no water or food. Surprisingly hurricanes seem to leave behind a good supply of cigarettes. Every cajun tongued interviewee was smoking. Seriously though why is there no help there? The reporter informed us that the Red Cross was only set up for about 3 hours and then left. The locals have no supplies and no way out since their cars have been swept away and even if they had them they can't get gas. I want to know if this is true and if so how could Louisiana and the US be so ill prepared for such a natural disaster. Apparently the US government was warned that this was possible. If anyone has any insight please share it with me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not gonna comment on the New Orleans thing as haven't be fully up to date on it and so may offend, but the Lost thing is really getting on my tits!!!

Seriously why can't I just watch a series in peace without a women (missy) telling me what is gonna happen. I wish she would watch 24 cause I would be the ultimate suspense breaker (like finding out that Father Christmas is not real)!!! but wait......is he!!!

Anonymous said...

It was the people that were ill prepared. Sort of. When there is a disaster some people never leave. I don't know. It isn't really that bad. The place is really bad but there are a lot of people being evacuated by the National Guard and local police.

Anonymous said...

I just heard that the New Orleans Police Department has been stealing SUVs from dealerships and guns from stores for "official use." So stuff is pretty much going down hill.

Anonymous said...

So, as you know, New Orleans is where I'm from and so I'll give you my take. The majority of people who stayed in the city did so, not because they wanted to, but because they have no money or means to get out. Yes I will acknowledge some stubborn cajuns who are stubborn and refused to leave. But even I have some of those in my family and in the end, they evacuated. The poverty level in NO is 30-40% most have several kids and live on welfare. So the ones that lived close enough to the Superdome to walk and get there, did so, the rest are what you see on their roofs. It's unfortuate that some feel the need to take advantage of the situation and steal more than necessities. What do expect from a city who averages 1.5-2 murders a day. Alot of people there are just ignorant and poor. Wednesday there were volunteer residents with boats, helping to get people off of their roofs and they were shot at. Probably by looters who raided a pawn shop. So now, they won't allow volunteers in, it's up to the army and national guard. I'm with you on this, I don't understand what has taken so long. People have died waiting for help. How can we help the world and not our own? Anyway maybe that gives you some insight.

Mizzie said...

Keira, thanks for the report. How is the news reporting it over there? It is on all the time here and the reporters keep saying how bad it is. THey have been showing some British girls that were stuck there for a few days and the girls said that they were discriminated against for being foreign, that people were staring at them and threatening them. that sounds like an exaggeration to me, but maybe they are telling the truth.

Anonymous said...

Another reason it was so bad is because nothing happened during or right after the hurricane. Everyone was ready to go but nothing happened so they calmed down and then after that the levies broke. It is a big screw up.

Anonymous said...

Who knows about those girls, they may very well have been telling the truth. It is a big mess and alot of that stems from years of corrupt local government, not taking care of the levees or the people properly, but pocketing the money instead. One of those governors is now in prision. Oh yeah, they're real classy down there. Now all we can do is pray and bring relief and Jesus to these people who don't have anything left. Tulsa adopted a city called longbeach in Mississippi, it's right next to Gulfport where everything was wiped out. We're sending teams and all our relief efforts in that one concentrated area.

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com